The House of Tatterdemalion

Unfashionable, unskilled, inexpensive--but still sewing.

Monday, June 05, 2006

Sewing Cabinet


I've mentioned in the past that I've inherited sewing supplies from my great-grandmother. Well, this sewing cabinet is one of them. My great-grandfather made it for her; we speculate perhaps out of old packing crates. I asked my grandmother, and she said she didn't remember but it would be just like him. It has corks glued in for holding thimbles, a rack for thread, and lots of pockets. I'm considering re-doing the pockets at some time, because the elastic is all shot, and, I'm sorry to say, washed out pink, faded olive green, and a shade black just aren't my favorite colors. But it'll be awhile before I get to that.

The other cool thing is that it just so happens to almost perfectly match with the desk one of my older brothers made me! He found these huge old boards in the basement, sanded them down, and varnished them. Voila! Two desktops! I have them arranged in an "L" shape, and I'm putting the sewing cabinet in the corner to hold my various sewing things, in an effort to stay a little more organized.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just thought I'd pop in & say hi :)
I really like the looks of that cabinet. Very handy & unique storage space.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Tatterdemalion said...

Hi!

It looks even better in real life. I also like it that it's a very narrow cabinet. It seems like most sewing cabinets are very deep, and you spend most of your time trying to find the things you store in it.

You'll have to get Jon to make you one next time he's home, right? :)

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you on most sewing storage spaces being too deep. I have that problem with my sewing basket all the time. The bottom half of my basket is filled with items I hardly every use as a result of that - that way I don't have to dig for what I want. :)

Jon will think the only reason we want him home is so he can make things for us. :)

8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home